Saturday, June 8, 2013

One week in

June 8

My first week in China has ended well. It started off like a hurricane. I felt tossed about without solid ground, or a lead line, or an anchor. Everything was foreign - no familiar sound, smell, taste. It is kind of like a wave crashing over your head and if you have the will you swim back up and force your head above water. Last night, and lunch today I went out with classmates and was able to order food. I grant you that they give us picture menus and we usually point and say "yi ge" (one of these), but the Chinese names are all in characters so I don't know what they are. However, I am pretty good at ordering my drinks, getting a waitress to come over, and settling a bill. Small steps.

I know I am making progress though since my host mom is using less charades as she figures out which words I know and just uses those. I am able to tell her when I want to shower; that I don't drink milk; when I am coming home; that I am full and cannot eat anymore; and of course - "I have no idea."

Classes are exhausting. It is six hours a day, and at the end my brain feels ready to liquify. I have made it through four lessons in each of my speaking books, and one in my character book - more than I learned in a month on my own. So you skeptics who kept telling me I had to learn before I came, it is a great thing I didn't since I have no bad habits and my teachers are fabulous. My teachers think I am really brilliant, but I tell them no,  I just force myself to review at night before bed, and in the morning when I wake up. When classes end at 5pm I have an hour commute back home which is useful for decompressing. On the other hand, I am still being bombarded by Chinese. There is no way to let it pass you over. I see maybe 100 television screens in the metro on my journey home. The noise is constant: people, cars, horns, radios, televisions.  This is an adjust or be miserable situation because there is nothing else to do.

General Transit Map of my Commute
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=fefdc0e1e4&view=att&th=13eec267eb94391c&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_hh9cl4410&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8lFWt48vhoxm7AVrxUAr3-&sadet=1370684909979&sads=U8nFJMZyUieMn4V_4n-DIFuGORQ&sadssc=1

You can see Bei Hai there just to the east of point B, and south east of Bei Hai marked by the blue square is the Forbidden City. So I am right in the heart of Beijing which is quite nice, but sooo very far from school, and many of my classmates.

My classmates are fabulous. I actually only have one true classmate, Charles from Paris, and everyone else is a schoolmate. There are people from Portugal, Spain, Canada, the US, the UK, Germany, Hong Kong, and though not currently attending Nigeria, UAE, and Russia to name a few. On Thursday, the school had an outing for Beijing hotpot which I did not think was too terrible hot, but it was delicious. Basically, they bring you a bunch of dishes which you throw into your hotpot to cook, take them out when cooked, dip in your sauce, and eat. Pictures explain it better.







 I do have more pictures, but don't want to overwhelm the blog. So if you want to see them just shoot me an email and I will invite you to view my album.



No comments: