Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Badaling in a Flash

19 August

You can just make out the steam of people marching up that rise.



By a stroke of luck, the route out to my hike this weekend went right past Badaling. When I realized this, I thought to myself – it would be great if I could get some shots to show what I was talking about on the blog. Now I could only shoot out of my bus window, therefore; no one judge me on the quality of these photos please!
Just to prove I took theses from the bus.



Now to be completly truthful, these are not photos of the Badaling Great Wall, but on the section that connects to it. However, I think the photos illustrate the point I am trying to make that when you go to see one of the greatest man-made structures of the world you don't a) want to be pushed along in a sea of people b) climb to the top for a dynamic view of the motorway c) be subjected to cheesey building projects that emulate the Great Wall style.

I am pretty sure this wasn't part of the originial construction.

Don't worry you still get to experiance the intense down-slopes

followed by a soaring climb.
The only part of Badaling I was able to see was the parking lot. Shivers of dread roll down my spine because it looks like something from Six Flags, or maybe one of those endless scrap yards in Kansas. To really sink the nails in the coffin, it has its own toll exit.

For anyone wishing to find Badaling, it is exit 58.

The promised toll exit, each tall enough for a tour bus.


I think this sums things up nicely: "Beijing Speical Zone Administrative Center.

Now that I have finished laying out my dislike of Badaling, I shall tempt you with a photo from my hike. Hopefully I will get this post done in the next day and have it up before I leave for Xi'an.


No comments: